Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Drilling Dinner*

One of my very favorite things about summer is grilling dinner. When I owned a house I'd light the bug torches (because it was like Malaysia out there!), crack open a beer (or pour the wine) and happily sit on my deck as the food was sizzling away. The sun would set and I'd just sit there, taking in the sway of the trees, the warm summer breezes and the overall feeling that I was lucky. It was wonderful.

When I moved to Boston a few years ago, one of the things I missed the most was having my own green space and a grill. I'd always planned on getting a small city sized grill, but just never got around to it. In thinking about our summer plans (camping, boating, etc) Brian and I thought about the idea of getting a "road trip" style grill. This would allow us to transport it when we travel but more importantly we could store it in our back hallway and bring it back inside when we were done so that it wouldn't get stolen. After doing some research we chose the Coleman Roadtrip Grill. So far, it's been totally worth the money.

Last night I had a craving for grilled chicken-specifically garlic lime grilled chicken. I knew we still had some large corn tortillas from another meal I made last week and that got me thinking of grilled tortillas with garlic lime chicken, some sort of creamy cheese and a fresh tomato salad on top. Oh, and cilantro. Gotta have cilantro on a dish like this!

Brian was working a little later than usual last night so I hauled the grill downstairs myself. It's not heavy, really, but it's sort of bulky and when I finally got it to the back courtyard area, I was sweaty and out of breath. And also, our new neighbors were outside and they scared the bejesus out of me! But, after several trips up and down the stairs, I had everything in place to start grilling. After cooking the chicken, I spread the tortillas out on the grill and toasted them.

Some of them got a little charred around the edges, but I actually did that on purpose. I love a good grill burn every now and then...

Once inside I cut up some cheese, chopped the cilantro, made the tomato (and cucumber) salad with fresh heirloom tomatoes and sliced the chicken.

The camera on my phone isn't wonderful

Just as I was finishing the platter, Brian called to say he was minutes away from home. Perfect! Not only would I get to eat with him, but he could help me bring the then cooled off grill back upstairs!. :)

The finished product was delicious and very refreshing. I served the tomato salad ice cold and the chicken was room temperature so it made for a very nice summer dinner. My only regret is that I didn't season the tortillas before or after grilling them, but honestly, with all of the other fresh flavors, it wasn't missed much. As for a recipe? Sorry...I didn't really use one or make one. I can tell you that I did season the chicken with kosher salt, white pepper, garlic powder, a dash of olive oil and the juice of half a lime. The tomato salad was heirloom tomatoes, English cucumbers, sea salt, fresh black pepper, a little olive oil and about 1 1/2 teaspoons of red wine vinegar. Delicious!
So, to summarize, I love to grill, I love fresh, yummy food and I love when Brian comes home in time to eat with me...and, um...to help with the heavy lifting. :)

*This is how auto correct posted my Facebook update last night.

No comments: