Monday, July 18, 2011

Mystery Beer & The Gut

Well, we had another great summer weekend. It started on Friday when I got out of work early. Because I had some extra time, I drove over to Trader Joe's for some cheap wine, some flowers and this:

That's a mystery pack of beer. I wasn't going to buy us beer, but then I saw this and really felt like I couldn't pass it by. Brian asked what I would do if they were all gross and I replied that those would be the ones he got to drink. :) Luckily none of them were terrible but we didn't find a new favorite beer, as the pink flyer suggests.

Because it was so nice out, we opted to drive over to the marina to sit and relax whilst trying out our mystery beer.

I was kind of sad to see that there were 2 of one kind, the Tsingtao, but that's what we got, so we went with it!

The last beer was a Heineken Light


That is, until the corkscrew broke...


Luckily Brian's a master of all trades and fixed it. He saved the day, really. We sat for another hour or so and left to get some ice cream. Kind of a perfect way to end a lazy, beer filled night on the dock.

When I woke up Saturday morning, I really wanted a poached egg for some reason. I was pleasantly surprised at how well I did-considering I haven't made a real poached egg (the kind you just drop in open waters) since culinary school. I swirled the water, put a couple of drops of vinegar in and dropped that sucker down...this is how it came out:

Kind of perfect, actually! I cooked up some ham, grilled a little Italian bread and viola! Yummy delicious Saturday morning breakfast!

Brian and his dad had plans to go sailing, so I decided that I needed to make my way over to a salt water beach. I love soaking in the ocean and baking in the hot sun afterward...and then doing it all over again. It's kind of one of my favorite things to do. I spent the day at Horseneck State Beach. It's a lovely beach about an hour away, but it's worth the drive. The beach is huge and unlike many of the other beaches around here, the sand is white and soft and generally clean. Parking was only $7.

We had plans to meet back at home, to prepare dinner and to make our way back to the marina for the night. While at the beach though, I started feeling really New Englandy and really wanted to have a clambake. We already planned on making hamburgers on the grill though, so I decided to have a modified clambake. I bought steamers, chorizo, tiny red potatoes and corn on the cob. The corn was cooked separately, but everything else went into a disposable pan with beer, garlic and lemons and was cooked on the marina's grill. As for the burgers, I seasoned them with some garlic powder, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce and a dollop of mustard and stuffed them with freshly caramelized onions and sharp white cheddar. They were delicious! In fact, they came out better than the clams...I think it was the beer I used. Too dark. Next time I'll used a lighter beer and add more garlic.

My love, enjoying a cold one while the clams finish cooking. Seriously. He's so cute.


Steamers, garlic, beer, lemons & fresh parsley


We finished the dinner off with some grilled s'mores. They were gooey and sticky and oh-so-good. A perfect way to end a lovely summer day.

The next morning we were going to get up and travel to Spectacle Island-one of the Boston Harbor Islands. The plan was to take the ferry over, explore the island, swim at the beach and find out about how we'd dock our boat there for camping. Unfortunately we got there a bit too late because all of the tickets were sold out. We could have made it there but not back. Which would have been interesting...

To make the best of the day, we drove to Hull and planned to go to Nantasket Beach. As we drove, our plan evolved to driving farther down to what's called the "gut" to eat lunch and then make our way back for a dip in the water. This plan evolved further when I realized that people were swimming right off of the gut. With just a little walk, we found a tiny, mostly secluded beach with great waves and good depth. I can honestly say that I'll probably never go to the actual Nantasket Beach again. I'm not a fan of it's crowded, rocky beach-especially at high tide. This little area was so wonderful and I felt like I had the whole ocean to myself! I happily floated on the refreshing (read: freezing) waves while Brian soaked up the sun (on one side of his body).

The Gut


On our way home we made little stops to shop and to walk along the water. We ended the trip with ice cream, of course! It turned out to be quite a lovely day!

This next week is going to drag along a little bit for me-my birthday is next week and we're going camping! It's so close...I can hardly contain myself!!

7 comments:

Melisa with one S said...

Jim LOVES Tsingtao.

I LOVE the idea of mystery beer, even though I don't drink beer.

Sounds like you've been having fun!

B1 said...

the heinekin bottle was so littel it makes it look like my hands are even bigger than they already are

Lisa said...

Melisa-isn't it great? I just couldn't pass it by-first it was pink..and then it was intriguing!!

Brian-it was a tiny bottle...but you're allowed to have man hands honey, so it's ok. :) (PS. Thanks for reading. :)

"Lois Grebowski" said...

ok, so *that's* what a mystery six pack is! Now I get it!

I'm thinking some wine... I've got some that I'm dying to try.

big hugs!

"Lois Grebowski" said...

P.S. I'm coming over to your house to eat!

:-)

Auntie Rita said...

What a great way for a store to sell extra beer, and for everyone to try something new! Sounds like a perfect weekend, for a perfect couple. Blessings!

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

I enjoy Tsingtao - it is one of my fav beers

also love them steamers...yummo