Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Old Magoun's Saloon

I feel like such a social butterfly lately! Brian and I have so much planned for this month-it's great! Times like these always make me stop to think about what a great decision it was for me to move from Connecticut to Boston. My life is so much fuller than it ever was when I lived there. I still have family and friends whom I visit in CT but there are so many new and exciting things to do here. And friends! I have so many more friends than I've ever had. It's pretty cool.

Last night I caught up with two of my best Boston friends. My friend Jess-who actually lives in Ohio now-was here for business so she joined my friend Lenny and I for dinner. Brian was getting out of work early, so he joined us too! I love when a plan comes together-AND when it's expanded upon.

This time around Lenny chose the restaurant. He chose Old Magoun's Saloon in Somerville. I typically like to try new places when I go out and we've been here before so I was a little disappointed when I heard this is where he wanted to meet. But it's a neat little pub and the food was good and they have a ton of beer choices AND it's so close to work...so that is where we went.

Everyone was late. Traffic was bad, they left the office later...I was there for about 40 minutes by myself. Which doesn't really bother me, but I left work early yesterday to go to the beach and if I'd know we weren't meeting until 6:30-ish, I could have taken one more dip in the pond. Oh well...such is life.

Magoun's


There are several Irish pubs around Boston which have actual Irish people. So your bartender or your waitress (or both) could have Irish accents. It's pretty neat but I admit that sometimes it seems like they are faking it...and I guess you'd never really know! Both waitresses who waited on our table had an accent. They sounded real.

The quote below this one says, "Everyone should believe in something. I believe in having another drink."


For my dinner I chose a classic Ruben. I just love a good Ruben...this one was an OK Ruben. The bread was a little too thickly sliced and not grilled enough. When I picked up the sandwich, the bottom piece was soggy. A little disappointing, but overall a yummy bite. What really made the dinner was nice cold beer and lots of laughter...a winning combination every time.

1 comment:

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

ugh...soggy bread... hate that. Watched a Diner's Drive-Ins and Dives the other night and they featured a place in Boston I had missed...East End - this guy cooks all from scratch (even pasta made as you order it) and if I lived in Boston still, I would have driven there the same night.
Rino's Place
258 Saratoga St
East Boston, MA 02128
(617) 567-7412