Tuesday, August 16, 2011

5 Guys Burgers & Fries: A Review

Sometimes I almost wish that people didn't tell me when they think things rock. Because, well, when I know that so-and-so thinks that XYZ is the greatest place EVER, then, well, I expect it to be the greatest place EVER. And most of the time, it's not. At least for me.

Such is the case with 5 Guys Burgers and Fries. For over a year now, I've been hearing how delicious these burgers are-how it's like they have "crack" in them, or something and how I basically should be dead because I haven't yet had one. Well yesterday, I had one and surprise, surprise, it wasn't orgasmic.

Which, by the way, I still maintain that if your food is better than sex, you're sleeping with the wrong person...but I digress. (Sorry Auntie! :)

So...these burgers. It was OK. The actual burger was thin and sort of tasteless. I was expecting that rich, fatty beef taste you get when eating a freshly ground beef burger, but alas, it wasn't there. The roll was good, though-it was fresh and soft and had sesame seeds on it, which is always a plus in my book. Another plus is the fact that all toppings are free (with the exception of, I think, bacon). So I ordered sauteed onions and mushrooms with ketchup in addition to the bacon that I ordered.
Let me say that it wasn't a bad burger. It was tasty, but it was not, by any means, awesome or the best burger (or even the 2nd best) I've ever had. And I maintain that part of the reason I feel this way is because my expectations were ridiculously high.

Another thing that really upset me (OK, not really...we are, after all, talking about burgers and fries) was the fries. I didn't like 'em. They were very....bland. I should have opted to get the Cajun seasoned fries but honestly, I'm not a huge fan of the Cajun seasoning, so I went plain. Plain fries rock my world when done right. If they were a tad bit crunchier and were seasoned with salt when they left the fryer, I think they'd have been better. But they weren't. And so I was left with literally half a bag of unseasoned (and therefore uneaten) fries.

Disappointing.

After I ate, I noticed that they have boxes full of peanuts which customers can eat while they wait. The box, however, was set on top of a garbage can. So...um...not very appetizing. So it was OK that they weren't advertised well because I wouldn't have eaten them anyway. But if they were placed differently, it would have been a cool idea.

It's wrong that I felt as though I should have gotten a hot dog instead of my burger. Because, you know, it's called 5 Guys Burgers and Fries...

If I were with friends, and they wanted to go eat here, I'd go again. But I'd ask for salty, well done fries. And I'd probably get the dog.

5 comments:

Linda said...

Having eaten at Five Guys three times now I think I can say that the burgersI've had were quite good as were the fries so maybe it wasn't so much the food as the restaurant itself? I know the burgers I've had in Groton were slightly different from the one I had in Mystic though both were good. The one in Mystic definitely required a LOT more napkins!

Anyway, even though the burgers there are definitely not on par with the phenomenal Bobby Flay Crunch-Burgers we had at Mohegan Sun (now they HAD crack
In them!), Five Guys burgers are a'ight though I wouldn't drive way out of my way to get one.

Melisa with one S said...

Our Five Guys is TO DIE FOR.

Your burger didn't even look good. I think it's a location problem.

"Lois Grebowski" said...

I'm with you... not really anything special. They're good, but not really, really good.

What yanks my chain is that they waste food by giving out too many fries. Talk about portion distortion! A family of four can eat the small fry. I can say this because I'm fat and I can eat a lot of fries...

Lisa said...

Linda: I thought immediately of the crunch burgers. I was sad that this didn't add up...

Melisa: Well. Maybe I should come try yours! :) I do think I'll have to find a different one to try though.

Lois: Based on Melisa's comment, I think I'm willing to try them again. Maybe another place will rock my world. As for the fries-YES! I had a whole paper bag full of them. I was going to take them home to reseason them but then thought better of it.

Palm Springs Savant said...

I agree with you- I have tried 5 Guys several times and never saw what the fuss was about. Living in So Cal, we have In-N-Out Burger, which I think make delicious fast food burgers. :-)