Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Picco

On Saturday I had the opportunity to meet up with one of my oldest Boston friends, Lenny. It's been a while since we've hung out just the two of us, so it was nice to catch up and chat over a nice dinner. Lenny and I bonded over food when we first met, so it's fitting that whenever we hang out, we are either eating or drinking.

Because there are so many places on my "to try" list, I sent Lenny a text asking him to pick a letter. He chose "P" which helped me narrow down my choices significantly. The best choice for dinner out with a friend was Picco in Boston's South End.

I love the South End. It feels both trendy (because of its restaurants & crowd) and old school (because of the beautiful brownstones lining the side streets). Yet, we almost never go, for some reason...so it was nice to not only get to try a new place, but also to visit the South End.


Being the lovely night that it was, we sat outside-another awesome feature of the South End. We got a couple of beers and chatted while I waited for my appetizer. I chose the Goat Cheese Bruschetta with white beans and roasted red pepper. It was good, but not delicious, but since I'd only eaten toast all day, I basically inhaled it.

Another perk of eating with a good friend-if they judge you based on how fast you inhale food, you'll never know.

I was especially excited about my pizza, because the restaurant smelled divine-yeasty and toasty with a hint of garlic in the air-kind of a favorite smell of mine. I ordered the broccoli rabe, sausage and olive pizza, but substituted sauteed spinach for the rabe. I thought that if I had any leftovers, Brian wouldn't like the rabe. I should have kept it on there though, because being as hungry as I was, I ate it all myself!

Picco has a disclaimer that states that their pizza's are cooked well done and that if you would like it less well done, you should tell them. Normally I order pizza's well done even from our local pizzeria, so I didn't think anything of it. Looking back, I probably should have asked for it to be a tiny bit less well done because the top was essentially blackened making the crust almost inedible. The rest of the pizza was amazing though. Crispy and chewy at the same time, full of flavor-a home run. I really can't wait to go back so that I can try a different pizza a little less cooked.

Overall, our service was good. The hostess was very gracious and helpful and got us a great table on the patio. She seated me even though Lenny wasn't there yet-something that is very rare in these parts and our waitress was very attentive but not annoyingly so. I really have no complaints about Picco at all. The prices are good, the atmosphere is wonderful and the food is tasty...an all around winner.

I do, however, recognize and also highly recommend you go there with a good friend and/or someone you love. I have a feeling the company I kept has a lot to do with how wonderful the evening was.

1 comment:

"Lois Grebowski" said...

I like your method of picking a restaurant. How clever! Might have to do an A to Z tour of Cinci! LOL!