Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Fall Fun

We couldn't have asked for a nicer weekend to go camping-it was gorgeous up here! (Though, truth be told, I would have liked it to be a little cooler-it's October for crying out loud!) Crisp blue skies, warm temps and not too, too cold at night-perfect.

We got a late start on Friday even though our plan was to get there early. Sometimes life just jumps in the way of plans and you have to roll with it. We didn't end up getting to the campground until well after dark (8pm!). We were actually worried that we would be stuck without firewood. Luckily the office was still open though, so we were able to buy wood and check in A.O.K.

We are getting good at setting up camp quickly. While Brian started a fire, I popped our tent. This was the first time I did it alone, by the way, and without much light (or lantern died and Brian had my headlamp) I did pretty good. I set up our sleeping pads and our bags and we were on our way to relaxation 101.

Sitting by a fire, eating hot dogs and s'mores...it's become one of my favorite things to do with Brian. I know we were both feeling very lucky to have found each other. Brian even mentioned how weird it is that out of millions of people, we found each other and are so well suited for each other. It's nice that he feels that way too.

Saturday morning we woke up and Brian cooked breakfast-I remembered the syrup and the cinnamon this time, so our french toast was delicious! I even brought precooked bacon, which by the way, is a great choice for camping if you're into that sort of thing. You really come to appreciate anything you eat while cooking over a campfire because, well, it's not a quick endeavor. Having that precooked bacon really saved time.

After we cleaned up and showered (camping showers always feel so fantastic) we headed out for and adventure. We often have a destination in mind, but getting there is fun. We just meander along the back roads looking at houses, forest, animals and this weekend, cranberry bogs.

I've seen cranberry bogs before but never when they were flooded for harvest and never while they were being harvested. I got kind of excited while driving on this road:

We passed this bog:


So excited, that Brian stopped for me to take a picture and to also try a berry that was on the side of the road. Probably not the smartest thing I've ever done, but I had to do it. (I wish I had a recording of Brian's reaction to my sour face. I love it when I crack him up like that!)

A little bit farther down the road, we came upon these guys actually harvesting the berries. So cool.




It wasn't until we passed this sign:

That I realized that Ocean Spray's primary cranberry processing plant was just down the road and that the cranberries we passed were actual Ocean Spray cranberries! I'm a geek about things like that. So Brian, being the bestest boyfriend that he is, drove down the road to take a peek at the plant.

It actually wasn't very exciting, but it was neat to be there.

After our cranberry bog adventure, we drove about an hour away to go apple picking. We didn't get there until about 2pm, and we were getting hungry. Luckily we passed this place:

Which is actually one of the buildings we saw on a documentary recently about odd shaped buildings. (A couple of months ago we ate at another one; a clam box!) The food was just OK, but it filled our bellies well and gave us the energy to push on to the orchard.

I was a little disappointed in the orchard this year. For starters, most of the apples were rotten or the trees were bare. Granted, this is a little late for picking, but still-it was not so good. The major reason I was disappointed in the orchard was the fact that they did not have apple cider donuts! This is a tragedy in my mind. Apple picking at an apple orchard equals fresh (most of the time still warm) apple cider donuts. We'll have to find them somewhere else before we leave for Florida...nonetheless, it was a nice day and we have fresh apples to bake with. (Yesterday morning I made us apple pancakes and we'll make pie sometime this week).

As you can see, it was a lovely weekend. We managed to get outside and relax, spending some fun away from real life time together (which I will argue is actually real life) and even got to seem some friends. If we weren't leaving for Florida in 12 days, I'd be bummed it was over. But we are, so...I'm excited! It's going to be so fun!

3 comments:

Jean said...

It's cool to see the bogs when they're flooded. It's sooooo interesting!

I'm so happy you are having fun with your guy. Sounds like it's a wonderful partnership. And you know how much that makes me smile to know that he sees your treasure!

Lashetta said...

You to together is my favorite :) I love the things you do together. Awesome.

Lisa said...

Jean, aren't they cool? I freaked out when I saw them. So pretty too!

Lash: You crack me up. I'm glad that B1 and I together is your favorite! LOL