Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Like Gnarls Barkley

Well, I think you're crazy
I think you're crazy
I think you're crazy

Just like me


My heroes had the heart to lose their lives out on a limb
And all I remember is thinking, I want to be like them E
ver since I was little, ever since I was little it looked like fun

And it's no coincidence I've come

And I can die when I'm done


Maybe I'm crazy

Maybe you're crazy

Maybe we're crazy

Probably


One of the things I love most about Brian is he's kind of crazy, just like me. Not in a padded room kind of way, but in an off the wall, a little outside of the box kind of way. Like, for instance, when I brought him to our current apartment before we moved in and said, "See? It's nasty...but it could totally ROCK!" and, without batting one pretty little eyelash, he agreed.

I guess I've always kind of been this way; I look at life a little differently and often do things that others would consider weird or, better yet, brave. Like when I moved to Boston just 'cause, without knowing anyone. Some of these decisions turned out badly (though at the moment, I can't think of any!) but most of the time, they turn into life altering turning points (for the better). Moving here, as many of you know, was one of the best decisions I have ever made in my life.

I told you all of this because what I'm about to tell you might make some of you think we're a little nuts. But those of you who know us well know that if nothing else, we'll have fun. So here is the big reveal. Within the next couple of years (hopefully in a little over a year) Brian and I going to either purchase a larger boat to live on full time, or rent one until we can afford our own.

Not so crazy, really. Especially if you know us and if you knew why we are doing this*, it's not crazy at all. Except for the fact that we have a lot of crap. I mean, a lot.

We're not like hoarders or anything, but every nook and cranny of this apartment is stuffed with stuff. And I have no idea what we're going to do with it all when we have to downsize. My kitchen alone is going to be a hard thing to consolidate. Most of my tools and toys I love and actually use on a regular basis. I suppose I'll be cooking less when I live on a boat, but actually, I doubt it. My kitchen in my Boston apartment was very boat-like in size, and I managed to cater out of it on several occasions.

Also, I have kind of an addiction to glassware. You can't imagine how many plates, platters, bowls, glasses and containers I have in order to entertain properly. Our china cabinet is bursting at the seams and still we store things under it, in the sideboard and even under our kitchen cart! I know that I don't need all of these-especially because we don't entertain much anymore, but...I don't want to get rid of them! These, I think, will go into our storage area. If I can sneak them in.

And what about our clothes? This issue is actually something I'm concerned about most because-shhhhh, don't tell-Brian has more clothes than I do! Of course we both have many items which we don't wear and that we can easily donate to charity. But seriously, that's not going to cut it. And my shoes...oh, my shoes! How will I ever store them? I suppose I'll go back to stacking them in a big plastic bin co-mingled with each other like I did at the Boston apartment instead of all lined up in separate spaces like I do now...

Yes, we'll have to make room for my shoes.**

*Can't tell you. Yet.
**Don't worry baby, this post is based on humor. Kind of.

1 comment:

Jean said...

It's not crazy. It's just a home on water. That's all...

This reminds me of the year we "ran away" from home and lived in our RV. trust me when I say it gives you a new appreciation of "stuff"

You find out what you REALLY need. It scares me when I look at what we've amassed since our big purge. Stuff is creeping back. Yikes!