Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Sea Balls

Lately I've been reading the community boards on The Knot. At first I was just trying to see what everyone else was thinking and to maybe get some new ideas but then I started looking for cheap items for sale that we might use in our wedding. So far, I'm not successful but I did get sucked into posting a few topics. I posted a question about local hair stylists (in the town we're getting married) and got some good feedback (why the hell is an up do for a bride over $100 when a "regular up do is only $65???). I then posted a question about the ceremony site (still no response for the beach association!) and found someone who had her wedding there last year. She made me feel a little better by telling me that she too had trouble getting in touch with them, that she called once a week until they called her back and that she sent her request via certified mail to ensure they got it. She also told me how many chairs they rented vs. people they invited and told me how much of a "donation" she sent, and when (after the ceremony went off without a hitch!) I found that very comforting. I also found a group of girls who are looking for some support re: weight loss, so yay!

A few minutes ago I checked on the threads to see if there were any updates only to find that some of these girls are MEAN! Thankfully no one has been mean to me in any of my threads, but I read through another one where a few girls ganged up on the girl who started the thread (because she didn't give enough info in the beginning an then didn't answer them back for a couple of hours) and pretty much made the girl say she was sorry and that she'd delete the question.

Seriously. Mean shit. She only waited a couple of hours to answer the people-my guess is she was probably at work and couldn't write back. Catty...I don't think I'll post anything more.

This weekend Brian and I went to IKEA and to a couple of craft stores to get some trial components to our centerpieces. I drew a sketch a little while back and we decided on the basics but we wanted to make sure that it all really fit together and looked nice. It was fun shopping with Brian for things we'll use at our wedding. It's even more fun because Brian is planning on making a couple of the components and I love that this will make it more personal. I can't wait to see what the whole thing looks like (he has to build two things before we can see for sure)...so far, I really love it.

Though, you know...I'm having a hard time finding glass sea floats that are not ugly and not super expensive. I'd really love to find them in the colors shown below and about 3 inches in diameter...for less than $3 each. Right now, I can only find them for over $6...and most of the time, more expensive than that.

Japanese Sea Floats, aka, Sea Balls


I'm kind of obsessed with them. I've always loved them, actually (I especially love when they have old rope netting around them!) but now that we're using them in our wedding, I REALLY love them. Sadly, considering that we'll need probably about 20-30 of them, I am not certain it'll really happen. But, I have contacted a few people online to see if they'll sell me some at wholesale prices and also contacted a store in P-Town that we visited last year on our anniversary trip...we saw some there and it could be a perfect excuse to take a ride! It's fun searching for these deals. I kinda live for this stuff!!*

In other news, I dyed my hair very dark brown...which is quite close to my natural hair color...I think. It's been a ridiculous amount of time since I've seen that color (6th grade, I believe!) so I'm curious to see how the roots come in. I like the new color but I'm not used to it yet. It's really, really dark. Brian likes it a lot and though he says it's most important that I like it, I say that he's pretty high up there too.

No...I don't have any pictures. Maybe I'll take some in a few days when I'm feeling more confident about the color. And also, when I have makeup on. :)

*Just as I was about to publish this post, one of the people emailed me back. He offered to sell the floats I inquired about for $20 each with freight charges of $90!!! Um...no thanks. :(

6 comments:

Auntie Rita said...

I love that you hate mean people. There was certainly no reason for the comments those girls made on the Knot. That is a great site for wedding planning though. We used it when Kris was getting married.

I also love that you guys are doing the centerpieces together! I'm glad you guys are so happy, and I know that with this kind of beginning...it will last a lifetime!

Blessings on you both.
Love Auntie

Jean said...

I hate catty people... they need to get over themselves...

Jean said...

I hate catty people... they need to get over themselves...

Lisa said...

I checked back today (to see if there were more comments on my threads) and found another post by the same girl who got ganged up on. Of course, they picked on her again. No more posting for me!!

Me too Jean!!

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Things have a way of working out...

Auntie Rita said...

Maybe one more post to tell the mean girls how awful they are? =O