Thursday, February 16, 2012

Discs

It is done. I am (finally) having back surgery to fix the two discs in my back that broke when I slid down a flight of stairs on my back last year. I'm told that I must have fallen through the cracks because I shouldn't have been able to go on for as long as I did without speaking to a surgeon. Apparently, 6 months is the cut off, and here I am at 13 months...yeah, something's wrong there.

Considering I had to practically beg to get them to take X-Rays and then again for an MRI, I can see that. It's discouraging to say the lease. But the surgeon still thinks I can benefit from surgery and so it is done. On Wednesday 2/29 I'll be having a microdiscetomy. And I pray that this is the key to getting me moving again.

By this time, I had hoped to be about 80 pounds lighter than I was 2 years ago when I started my major weight loss journey. I made it halfway. And then I fell, and I gained more than half of that back. I feel like a big fat pig and I hate that I gained it back, but I have to remind myself that I couldn't really move the way I should. In fact, every time I exercised, I'd end up in more pain for days-and it became not worth it. So I'm psyched that I might actually get enough relief...and then when I recover, I can get back into the gym! And hike without pain. And sail without cringing when I jump off of the boat! Oh, it'll be so great!

Dude wanted me to be out of work for a month! I told him no way. He joked and asked if my boss was so mean that she wouldn't let me out of work to recover. I told him it isn't a matter of them letting me leave, it's a matter of me not wanting to be out that long. And also, I don't think it's necessary. I mean, I'm not going to be laying flat on my back during those four weeks, so why is it so different that I would be sitting at work instead of here? In fact, at work I have a better chair to support my back! And they're so great that if I really felt like I couldn't handle it one day, I could just go home. So we compromised at 2 weeks. I think that's plenty of time...

So, if you pray, please send some my way on the 29th. If you don't pray, send some good vibes instead. I'll be saying a few prayers and crossing everything I can to ensure that this actually works...

5 comments:

Melisa Wells said...

I'll definitely send good vibes your way on the 29th. It sucks that you're 13 months into this, but I'm glad that you'll be on the mend very soon!

ClancyPants said...

Prayers your way from Idaho!

Jean said...

Can I say that I'm sad to see this and happy to see this at the same time? I'm sad you fell through the cracks on this and have to have surgery. I'm glad that this doc is confident that this will help alleviate the pain and get you more active.

You know you have prayers from me. Until then, take care of yourself and all will be "More gooder" once recovery begins.

Hugs!

P.S. You have one cute recovery nurse, too! *wink*

Lisa said...

Thanks everyone!

Jean, I do indeed have a cute nurse! :)

Kat said...

I hope all goes well and you are recovering nicely after the surgery. Here's toasting to a pain-free life after the whole ordeal.